Former MMA Champion Cain Velasquez Charged With Attempted Murder After…

Former MMA Champion Cain Velasquez Charged With Attempted Murder After…




SAN JOSE (CBS SF) – Santa Clara County authorities charged former MMA Heavyweight Champion Cain Velasquez with attempted murder and several other crimes Wednesday for his involvement in a car chase and shooting days before.

Dozens of Velasquez’s supporters filed into the Santa Clara County Hall of Justice Wednesday.

READ MORE: Newsom Homeless Plan Would Force Some Homeless People Into Treatment

“I don’t blame him, I 100% don’t blame him,” said Eric Christensen. “What Cain did, he had to take matters into his own hands.”

UFC Champion Cain Velasquez court turn up (CBS)

The charges came against the 39-year-old San Jose resident after police said he rammed into and shot at a means on Monday that carried a man who allegedly molested a juvenile relative of Velasquez’s.

A little after 3 p.m. Monday, Morgan Hill Police received information of a shooting near the intersection of Cochrane Road and Butterfield Boulevard. Responding officers arrived to find victim Paul Bender experiencing from gunshot wounds. He was taken to a nearby hospital to be treated for non-life-threatening injuries.

According to police, Velasquez followed Bender’s means because it contained 43-year-old Harry Goularte, who had been released by authorities after being charged with felony child molestation. At the time of the shooting, Bender – Goularte’s stepfather – was driving Goularte to acquire an electronic monitoring bracelet that was a condition of his release from jail.

Velasquez chased the victim’s means, a Chevy Silverado, for 11 miles before ramming into it. After the collision, Velasquez opened fire on the means with a handgun, hitting Bender. Goularte’s mother, who was in the means, called 911.

“What he did was put the public in danger,” said prosecuting attorney Aaron French.

Paula Canny, a criminal defense attorney, legal analyst and long-time former deputy district attorney, told KPIX 5 that he agrees with French.

She said she hopes the public outcry doesn’t have any impact on Velasquez’s case.

“I don’t want already mixed martial arts fighters who are champions to get to go around and fire guns in public places and to take the law into his own hands; it’s horrifying, it’s frightening,” said Canny. “There is no defense of vigilante justice, and that’s probably a good thing. Otherwise, the whole system would devolve into vigilantism. There is on defense of ‘I was so mad, I had to do it.’”

READ MORE: Cain Velasquez Shooting Sparks argue Over Vigilante Justice; ‘He Had To Take Matters Into His Own Hands’

Velasquez, who has hired celebrity attorney Mark Geragos, was booked into the Santa Clara County main jail and held without bail. His arraignment was scheduled for Wednesday at 1:30 p.m., but was postponed until next Monday.

“The community is behind him on what happened,” said family friend Erin McNabb.

According to charging documents against Goularte, authorities charged the San Martin resident over his actions at a child care facility run by his wife where he lived but didn’t work. The facility cares for 20 children and Goularte is charged with inappropriately touching a child of the facility on multiple occasions. The victim is believed to be a relative of Velasquez.

Patricia Goularte confirmed to police that Velasquez had employed her daycare facility for the past two years.

Goularte had been released with no bail as part of the “Supervised Own Recognizance Program” (SORP), against the district attorney’s office request.

“The court disagreed with us and agreed that he could be released without bail. That was not a decision that we agreed with. But it is a decision that we respect. We respect the estimate’s decision in that case. We do not believe that that justified the conduct in this case, particularly given how reckless it was and how much it abundant the general public,” said Santa Clara County Assistant District Attorney Angela Bernhard.

At the Hall of Justice in downtown San Jose, Velasquez’s wife Michelle had no comment, but asked for friends and supporters to attend the hearing Wednesday afternoon. A crowd of several dozen supporters arrived, wearing “#FreeCain” t-shirts, and blasted the estimate in Goularte’s case.

“I think it is unacceptable that our justice system let this guy free. It’s unacceptable,” said Erin McNabb, a family friend of Velasquez.

Canny said Goularte’s release was based on California’s zero bail law, and was appropriate for the situation.

Velasquez faces one count of attempted murder, one count shooting at occupied means, three counts of assault with firearm, three counts of assault with a deadly weapon, willfully discharging firearm from a means, and carrying a loaded firearm with intent to commit felony.

Velasquez was forced by injuries to retire from MMA in 2019. During his career, he earned UFC heavyweight championship titles in 2010 and 2012.

MORE NEWS: 2-Alarm House Fire in San Jose Displaces Five

Maria Cid Medina contributed to this report.

Click: See details




leave your comment

Top